Concert Josh

not so daily ramblings

1.26.2007

Sports on TV

So I watch a lot of sports on TV. If there is a ball and a way to score with it, I'll watch. Tennis, golf, baseball, basketball, football it doesn't matter. One of the things I see regularly when watching some sort of game is some jackass holding his cellphone to his ear and waving wildly in the stands.

Look at me, I'm on TV.

I despise these types. You're not on TV, you just happen to be part of the background in the shot of some professional player. No one is watching the game to see you in the stands, they are watching the people on the field, or court, or whatever.

Last night I had the opportunity to sit in some good seats at the Bulls vs. Mavericks game; 6 rows off the floor at center court. About half way through the 3rd quarter my phone rings. I pull it out of my pocket and see on the Caller ID that the call is from my parents house. It's my Dad. He's watching the game and wants to know where I am sitting. I give him my general location to which he replies:

"Stand up and wave so I can see you!"

feeling like a complete hypocrite I stick my arm up in the air and wave it. "Do you see me waving?"

Concert Dad: "No, stand up, what are you wearing?"
CJ: (I describe what I am wearing) "see me now?"
CD: "Are you waving right now?"
CJ: "Listen, this is stupid, I gotta go, this is a great game..."
CD: "Your brother (who just had surgery and is not really supposed to move much) wants to see you and your sister on TV, stand up and wave!!"

So I was that jackass in the stands with my phone jammed into my ear waving like an idiot so my little brother could see me on TV.

This happened to me once before. I had seats right behind home plate at Wrigley. Only it was Concert Mom who called, to tell me that I was on TV and that I needed to behave myself and not drink so much. I gave her the finger and chugged my beer.