Concert Josh

not so daily ramblings

9.22.2006

D.A.R.E.

This morning while listening to The Johnny B Radio Shogram one of the hot topics was drugs and the D.A.R.E. program. I have to say, with out D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) I may have never tried any drugs. My friends and I were one of the first groups of school children to go through the program. It was about 6th or 7th grade. That would mean I was about 11 or 12. All I got out of D.A.R.E. was interested. I mean, they passed a joint around the class, and after seeing it I instantly knew that I had seen something like that before. After school we went over to a friends house and instantly raided his parents 'stash' and experimented. After that day D.A.R.E. was quickly coined as 'Drugs Are Really Excellent" and our life as 'stoners' really started. I mean we were already boozing it up, we would raid people's garages for beer, take liquor from our parents, etc. we even once took my mom's Sharp's that she had when she was pregnant figuring that if we chugged enough of it we would catch a buzz. We didn't, but that isn't the point.

Since then, my friends and I pretty much tried everything and anything we came across at least twice. Most of us have grown up and out of that stage. We all now have jobs, some of us have family's, kid's , etc. We also have a very strong bond in the way that we may not see each other very much anymore, but when we do it's like we haven't missed a beat.

I am in no way advocating drug use. Drugs kill. Drugs have long lasting effects on your body and mind. It's hard to stop taking Drugs. Drugs will land you in jail. Sometimes for a long time. Drugs will ruin relationships with family, friends and lovers. I have experienced all of these things in one way or another.

Drugs Are Really Excellent, maybe not so much.

Just ask Willie.