Concert Josh

not so daily ramblings

9.05.2005

They Tried to Kill Me


So my friends that I am out East visiting regurly go hiking. Up mountains. 4,000 + up them to the very tippy top. They asked if I would like to do something like that when we were planning this trip. I thought about it, an being from generally flat land I decided that it would be pretty neat to spend a day mountain climbing. When I got here we all sat down with their guide book to the various trails and hike's that we could do. Being not in the best physical shape of my life, I suggested that a short, easy hike would probably suite me best. We picked a 'simple' 5 mile 2,200 foot vertical hike. Easy enough right? That's what I thought too, but about 15 minutes into the hike I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breath; my heart rate was going like 4 bizillion beats per second. I was getting dizzy. I fought all this off and reached the summit about 2 hours later. Here are a few pictures from the peak.






Pretty, isn't it. It was also super peaceful all the way up there. After a few minutes of looking out at the scenery, and some trail mix we were on our way back down. This was just as exhausting as going up, working completely different muscles.

Upon reaching the base, we headed back to camp. I downed a XXX while Don and I cut up various fallen trees for fire wood. Just as were finishing up the sawing and chopping Mr Forest Ranger Guy stopped by. He just wanted to tell us that the area was under a SUPER HIGH BLACK BEAR ALERT. I was all like 'really? bears? cool!" Mr. Ranger told us to make sure we put all the food and food type stuff (cooking supplies, tooth paste, soap were also included in that list).

When Mr. Ranger left, I grabbed a Coors light, the closest thing to being water that is really beer, and sat down in a chair. It was at this point that I realized that I couldn't even fucking drink beer! I was sooo hungry, after burning off like a million and a half calories, and eating only a bagel sandwich from Dunkin Dounuts. I was very close to passing out, with an empty stomach. My friends were getting worried that I may not be alright. I suggested that we hurry up and cook dinner, before I got sicker.

After eating, I felt way better, grabbed a beer and continued to drink until the cooer was empty.

In the morning Mr. Forrest Ranger Guy stopped back by to see if we were alright, and NOT eaten by bears. We were, and I told him I was disappointed that I came all the way from Chicago to not see a black bear.

Up for tonight is a steak and lobster dinner, and candle pin bowling. I have NO idea what that is. I will let you know tomorrow.

I can't wait to sleep tonight, as my entire lower part of my body just hurts.