Concert Josh

not so daily ramblings

9.29.2005

On Time

I have a pretty cush job. I spend about 80% of my work day slacking off, 10% at lunch, and the other 10% doing actual work related stuff. I am very good at what I do. I have been doing this job, with all of the current responsibilities for 3 years, and have been at this for over 5. I am well respected in my field. My customers know they can count on me to get their equipment back to them in a timely fashion so they can continue to broadcast television to all 3 or 4 of you who read this.

About 8 or 9 months ago I was given a 'bench tech' to oversee. He works here in my office under my direct supervision. My supervisor is way out in Ridgefield Park, NJ. I barely have any direct contact with him, which makes me feel like I am self-employed, but with the healthcare and other benefits of a well-known worldwide company.

I have taught this individual how to do this job with putting in as little effort as possible. The only real requirement I have is to be here at the office by 9AM. This isn't hard, as I travel double the distance he does, and I am here on time daily. Now, there are the occasions that I get caught up in some moron's accident, or just can't peel myself away from the cute girl sleeping next to me.. But this isn't a weekly thing and i notify the office assistant that I will be late.

The bench tech is late at least once a week. Sometimes just 5 minutes, sometimes an hour or more. I don't even know what to say to him anymore. I have tried to tell him that you can do pretty much anything you want around here, as long as you're here by 9. And by here, I mean in the office. People don't notice if you are slacking off, if you here on time. I am starting to not like this kid because of his tardiness. You see, if he is being watched by HR, or someone in sales that means MY movements are also going to be watched more closely and I like the cushiness of this place.

I'd rather not have to become that guy that reports every little thing to the boss, but it is looking like I might have to just to cover my own ass. This sucks.